Second graders are learning to talk about some characteristics of animals …
– The three vital functions of every living being.
– The classification of living beings in plants and animals.
– The classification of animals in vertebrates and invertebrates.
– The different types of vertebrate animals.
– The different types of invertebrate animals.
– The types of animals according to their nutrition: carnivores, herbivores and omnivores.
They watched this motivating video:
and I suggested national geographic kids for the most curious students
They also enjoyed the beauty of plants…
This was my suggestion regarding plants:
Now, the students are super motivated and eager to start working on this interesting topic. Before we start talking about animals, we will distinguish between “living things” and “non-living things.” We paid special attention to the characteristics and needs of living beings: in this way it is easier to distinguish them.
By they way, have a look at this wonderful site:
So far, we are able to distinguish LIVING / NON LIVING THINGS. Within living things, we have ANIMALS and PLANTS. Finaly, within the animals, we have VERTEBRATES and INVERTEBRATES.
It’s the turn of the vertebrate animals… Enjoy:
And finally the turn of the invertebrates…